With the school break starting this weekend, it's always good to be that extra little bit vigilant, criminals tend to enjoy the holiday seasons
So be sure to follow these helpful tips from uMhlanga Rocks Tourism and you're sure to have a great, fun filled, safe and crime free holiday.
General Safety Tips
- Do not attract unwarranted attention by openly displaying cash, expensive jewellery, cameras and other valuables.
- Carry your wallet, credit cards, passport and other travel documents in your inside and front pockets.
- Avoid carrying large sums of money, particularly foreign currency.
- Avoid strange, dark, poorly illuminated or isolated places.
Motor Vehicle Safety Tips
- As in anywhere in the world, remember that your personal safety in a vehicle is strongly dependent on YOU.
Make sure when leaving your car that :
- All windows are fully closed
- Doors are locked, double check and triple check, especially since criminals are known to use remote jamming devices, so you think your car is locked when in fact it may not be
- Valuables are locked away - AT ALL TIMES, EVEN WHEN TRAVELING!
- Plan your route in advance. Ensure you have sufficient fuel and that your vehicle is ina roadworthy condition.
- Fasten your seatbelt, lock your doors and keep your windows shut.
- Avoid displaying valuables openly in the vehicle to avoid smash-and-grab crime.
- Be alert at traffic lights and stop streets.
- Leave enough space around the vehicle for a quick getaway.
- If you are softly bumped from behind and the individuals involved looks suspect, proceed to the nearest police station to report the incident - do not get out of the car.
- NEVER pick up strangers.
- When returning to your vehicle, have your keys ready to unlock your car.
- If you are lost and concerned about the safety of the area you are in, Phone 10111, 0829111 (24 Hours) or 112 on your cell phone.
At Your Hotel / Accommodation
- Do not leave your luggage and belongings unattended.
- Store valuables in the hotel's safe deposit box at reception or in your room's safe.
- Keep your hotel room and any sliding doors/windows locked at all times.
- Never open your room door unless you have identified the person who has knocked on your door. If in doubt contact reception for verification.
- It is advisable to hand your keys of your room at reception when going out.
- Do not entertain the unwarranted advances of undesirable, strange or suspicious persons. Report such persons to management.
- Use the main entrance of the hotel when you arrive late at night.
When Using an ATM
- Have your ATM card out and ready to use.
- If you are suspicious of anything or anyone - cancel your transaction and leave immediately.
- Avoid ATM machines which are isolated or poorly illuminated.
- Never allow strangers to assist you with your transaction.
- Keep your secret code to yourself and do not let anyone look over your shoulder whilst keying in your code.
- When your transaction is complete, secure your cash and move off immediately. You can count it later.
At The Beach
- Swim at the beaches manned by life guards and between swimming beacons.
- Avoid bringing valuables to the beach.
- The African Sun can BURN - use a high sunscreen factor sun protection cream.
- Do not take breakables (e.g. glass bottles) to the beach.
And finally…...Have LOTS of Fun