At this time of the year we tend to get snowed under the Christmas rush, trying to juggle the family and finding time to sit back and relax. In my game I tend to gravitate toward the no-mess-no-fuss approach to cooking and baking. I tend to stick to the old stand-by recipes to keep the visitors and the family happy.
To that end I have collected many recipes and tips n tricks over the years and thought I’d share a couple here with you to help alleviate the pressure somewhat.
Blender Scones & Muffins
First up are my best ever blender scones and breakfast muffins:
Makes 12 small buns or 6 larger
200 degrees Celsius 12 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- 100g good quality salted butter
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 TBLSP fine confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 whole egg
- 1 cup chilled milk
For breakfast muffins
- 6 rashers cooked crispy bacon
- ½ cup good strong cheddar
1) In a blender, pulse the flour and butter to fine crumbs.
2) Add the salt, baking powder and sugar (if making scones otherwise omit the sugar if preferred) and pulse to combine.
3) At this stage add the crispy bacon bits and cheese if making breakfast muffins
4) Tip in the milk and the whole egg in one go.
5) Pulse to combine.
6) The object is to have a fairly rough mixture.
7) DO NOT OVER MIX.
8) Divide between greased muffin pans (lined with a muffin paper for the bacon muffins) and bake in a fairly hot oven turning the pans half way through. The savoury muffin would benefit from a bit of cheese on top of each one before baking.
The varieties and combinations are all up to you, you can even swap out half of the flour for whole-wheat for a roughage-rich alternative.
Pop in to Tiffany Spar and see what we have cooking up on the counters. I have prepared some real old-home favourites which means you’ll be able to pop in and sort out anything from a quick lunch to a fully prepared dinner.
We are also doing Christmas Gammon's and Stuffed Roasted Chickens ready to collect. Drop us a o line in store to place your orders.
Wishing you the best for the festive season
Jason and the team at Tiffany Spar